Monday, February 8, 2010

Yellowstone in Winter

Canon 5DmkII, EF24-105mmL, 3 image HDR

I've just returned from my "Winter Wolves of Yellowstone Tour". We had a full compliment of participants and came away with some great images. In this image of the Yellowstone River just above the Upper Falls I decided that due to the contrast range I would need either to use a graduated neutral density filter to hold detail in the sky or to process the image as an HDR file. I used the program Photomatix which is excellent. I bracketed 3 images with my exposure compensation set at -2, 0 and +2 while carefully checking my histogram to see if I captured detail in both the highlight and shadow areas of the image. The result seems very true to what my eyes saw.



Canon Eos7D, EF500mmF4IS

The raven image was captured handheld with the 5oomm F4IS. The raven landed on a snowcoach and allowed us to approach very close. I decided that portraits were my best option. My new Canon Eos 7D captured very good detail and the IS of the 500mm allowed me to capture a sharp image at 1/125 while handholding a heavy lens.

Canon Eos 7D, EF300mmF2.8L


I love snow covered and frosty bison. We located a herd of young bulls near Lava Creek. Using my excellent EF 300mm F2.8L on my 7d I was able to capture this wintry scene. When photographing a dark subject in the snow you must be careful with exposure so you don't overexpose your highlights while maintaining detail in a dark subject. With the size of the subject having a dramatic affect on your camera's metering in the automatic modes I decided to expose manually. I just metered a section of snow and opened up 2 stops giving me good results.




1 comment:

  1. Very cool, thanks for blogging. Its nice to see whats going on in an area when you can't be there yourself.

    ReplyDelete