Friday, January 29, 2010

New Camera Canon 7D


Canon Eos 7D, EF 500mmF4IS

Golden Eagle in flight, Bighorn Basin


I received my latest camera on Tuesday the Canon 7D. This is Canons latest APS-C or 1.6x cropped sensor offering. There are many sites reviewing the camera and listing it's specs so I won't bother going into that. I spent some time learning the camera and reading the manual. Overall the camera is similar to the 50D which I had prior. Canon has included some really useful upgrades and revamped the AF system so I have high hopes for this camera. I spent some time using the MFA (micro focus adjustment) feature and fine tuned my lenses. Some we're spot on other required some adjustment.


I've been revamping my camera system lately. I sold off my 50D and my 1DmkIII. The 7D is a replacement for the 50D and I hope to have the brand new Canon Eos1Dmk4 before the start of the 2010 Images for Conservation Pro Tour Photo Contest in which I will be participating. In past contests I've always had cameras which each sensor size Canon produces, full frame, 1.3X and 1.6x crop. That strategy has worked very well for me.

Canon Eos 7D, EF500mmF4 IS, 1.4x teleconverter
Rough Legged Hawk, Bighorn Basin Wyoming

I was able to get out yesterday morning with the 7D for some photography.. A beautiful golden eagle provided me with a good opportunity to test the AF tracking of the camera.The 7D performed very well. The 8 FPS allowed me to capturet many different wing positions as the eagle flew by. Also with the 18mgpx sensor I was able to crop the image and retain great detail. So I'm off to a good start with the new camera. Next week in Yellowstone I'll really put it to the test.