Thursday, February 11, 2010

More Thoughts on the Canon 7D


Canon Eos 7D, EF500F4IS, ISO 500, 1/320 @ F4.5


Having had the 7D for a couple of weeks now and using it extensively on my Winter Yellowstone Photo Tour last week I can now make a few observations. This camera is a major step up from the xxD line. I've had all of them from the 10D to the 50D and the 7D smokes them all. Canon has done a great job upgrading the feature set on the camera. The viewfinder grid lines and the electronic level are very useful. The viewfinder itself is great, nice and bright, much better than any of the xxd line. The new AF system seems to be outstanding. With 19 very good focus points arranged well and covering a large portion of the frame I see very little to complain about. I used single point, expanded point and spot AF during the week. Each worked well. The spot AF is useful for precise focusing on static subject but is not as stable with moving subjects. Initial acquisition is very fast. AIServo seems to be very good. I didn't have any real challenging focus situations during the tour but I did photograph a vehicle coming down the road towards me at 20-30mph. I focused on the license plate and kept shooting until I buffered out. I was able to get off 24 frames which is much better than the Canon specs for buffer capacity. By careful analysis I determined that 13 frames were razor sharp, 8 frames were sharp, 2 were acceptable and only one frame was slightly soft. I also would like to say that it was snowing at the time so there is a chance that the snow could have affected the AF system to some extent.

Canon 7D, EF500mmF4IS, ISO 200, 1/80 @ F4.5 handheld

The images show a lot of detail and the noise performance of the sensor is very good considering the number of pixels cram ed into the APS-C sized sensor. I used ISO's from 200 to 800 during the week and am very happy with what I see. I always try to use the lowest ISO possible to achieve my goals since the majority of my clients wouldn't accept any images taken at these new high ISO's like 6400, 12,800 etc. The slight amount of noise I could see at ISO 800 is very well controlled and looks much like film grain and I'm very comfortable with that. The camera is very customizable, you seemingly can make any button do whatever you want. I never have the camera set to automatically review each image after the exposure preferring to manually bring up the image for review. With the 7d I've dedicated my SET button for this function and find it very handy. All in all this is a lot of camera for the price. Now if I could just get my MK4.....