Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Images for Conservation Photo Contest



I'm leaving tomorrow for Laredo Texas to compete in the 3rd "Images for Conservation Fund", Pro Tour of Nature Photography Contest. This is the world's richest photo contest with $180,000 in total prize money. The contest places 20 top professional nature & wildlife photographer on 20 participating private land holdings for the entire month of April. I have no idea what ranch I''ll be photographing on until Saturday night when by drawing I will find out. One of the contest rules is that you have never photographed on the ranch before. In essence all the photographers are going in blind. The ranches and private landholdings that are in the contest have to meet certain requirements to be eligible including size, a minimum of 1000 continuous acres, and some wildlife conservation activity taking place on the ranch.


Barn owl with prey from the 2008 ICF Pro Tour

I have competed in all the previous contests. The first in 2006 was held in the "Hill Country" of Texas around San Antonio. I photographed on the beautiful Knibbe Ranch and finished 2nd in the contest. The 2008 contest was held in the "Coastal Bend" region of Texas near Corpus Christi. I drew the Mustang Ranch in Duval County. I again finished in 2nd in a very close contest between 1st and 2nd place. Three very qualified individuals will judge the photographs with absolutely no way of knowing who took the images. Each image can score a maximum of 30 points and total points for the portfolio determines the winner. They also pay an extra $500 prize for the top 20 images in each category. In the 2008 contest I had 18 images in the top 100.

Bobcat at waterhole 2008 Contest

During the month long contest you are required to obtain a portfolio of 75 images filling the 5 required categories. The categories are Birds, Mammals, Reptiles & Amphibians, Insects and arachnids, Scenics and Plants. You can have anywhere from 10-20 images per category but only 2 of any one species. This makes it a very challenging endeavor having to produce more than 2 excellent images per day. None of the wildlife is conditioned to humans as you might find in a National Park making the photographers naturalists skills as important as photography skills. It's a grueling event both mentally and physically. I photograph day and night with little sleep. I've been working out extensively since the last contest to be ready for this one. You really need the physical endurance to keep pushing and working hard the entire month.

Western Coachwhip from the 2008 Contest

During the contest I'll be utilizing a full array of cameras, lenses and accessories. For this years contest I'll be using the full frame Canon Eos 5dmk2, the 1.3 crop Canon 1dmk4, and the 1.6 crop Canon 7d. I've used a similar array of cameras in the previous contests and feel that it works out very well. I'll be carrying lenses from my 16-35mm F2.8L all the way up to a Canon EF800mmF5.6L with little or no gaps in focal length in between. I'll be using multiple flashes, remote triggers and many other accessories to help me capture the images I need. My GMC Yukon XL will be fully loaded for my drive to Texas.


Fighting Bronzed Cowbird & Red-winged Blackbird from the 2008 contest


I will most likely be far to busy to blog for the next month and I have no idea whether I'll even have Internet access on the ranch I'll be on. In 2006 I did in 2008 I didn't but I will give a report as soon as possible upon my return. Go here To see more information on the Images for Conservation Fund and the Pro Tour.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Robert!!

    As you may know, I won't be in this one. Have been fighting cancer on the base of my tongue. As tough as the pro tour is, I's rather be there! Good luck, it always helps. Win it this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    John Hendrickson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. Hope you get some great images.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    We're sure going to miss your this tiem.. Hope to see you next time.. Get well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robert!

    My Name is Colton Fischer and I'm a 16 year old wildlife photographer from Victoria, TX. I own both Pro-Tour books and I really enjoyed both the books and your photos. Good Luck this year!

    Colton

    ReplyDelete